Maria DiCarlo's Blog
Stylish, comfortable furniture brings out so much of your house's personality. Great furniture also shows off your own unique personality. With the right furniture, benefits continue to multiply. The right furniture can last years. It also serves multiple purposes.
Furniture options are growing but so are furniture prices
A chic sofa bed works as an entertaining and a sleeping piece. Because of its functionality, it's also a natural space saver. The same goes for coffee tables that are designed with pull out storage drawers. Fortunately, brick and mortar as well as online furniture retailers are offering more furniture options.
What a lot of furniture retailers aren't doing is lowering the cost of furniture. On the less expensive end, it can cost several hundred dollars to furnish one room in a house. For those with pricier taste, it's easy to spend several thousand dollars to furnish and decorate a single room.
Inexpensive ways to furnish your home
Just because furniture is expensive, that doesn't mean that you can't design the interior of your home the way you want. Looking to save money? Check out these inexpensive ways to furnish your home:
- Let relatives and friends know that you are open to accepting furniture to design your first house with. For example, you could remove a used living room set from a cousin's house for free and use the furniture in your home.
- Thrift stores are other great places where you can get inexpensive furniture. Charities operate some thrift stores. These stores carry affordable furniture and clothes. You can also find home decorations like silk bouquets, lamps and artwork at thrift stores.
- Visiting flea markets is similar to stopping by thrift stores, except there's generally a lot more space and items for sale at flea markets. Although you could find a new home decoration at a flea market,you'll generally walk away with a used item. But, that doesn't mean that the furniture that you find at a flea market isn't sturdy, reliable and attractive.
- Online auctions is another of the inexpensive ways to furnish your first home. The aim is to furnish your first home. You can always upgrade your furniture later, after your income increases and you pay down your mortgage debt.
- Another way that you could lower the cost of furnishing your first home is to buy furniture on a payment plan. Just make sure that you pay the furniture off before you have to start making interest payments, as interest on furniture payment plans can be hefty.
Openness leads to big savings when it comes to furnishing your home
Buy basic furniture to avoid going into debt after you buy a house. For example, you could make a sofa, kitchen table and chairs and a bed your basic furniture. Get the style, colors and size you want. Pay off your basic furniture before you add more furniture to your house.
As a first time homeowner, also stay open to other furniture options. This includes not turning your parents down should they offer to let you have their furniture,especially if your parents are determined to upgrade their housing. Remember, you may have plenty of opportunities to buy the posh furniture that you've wanted in a few years.